The Canary Islands, known for their subtropical climate and spectacular landscapes, also offer a delicious and varied culinary tradition. From fresh fish to homegrown bananas, Canarian gastronomy is an explosion of unique flavors that you must discover.
In this article, we will take you on a culinary journey through the best dishes of its gastronomy:
1. Papas Arugadas con Mojo: This iconic Canarian dish is a must. Potatoes wrinkles are small potatoes cooked in seawater and then baked until their skin wrinkles. They are served with two types of mojo: red mojo, which is spicy, and green mojo, which is milder. A true explosion of flavor!
2. Salted Fish: Given its location in the Atlantic Ocean, the Canary Islands are famous for their fresh fish. Salt fish is a typical dish, where the fish is cooked in sea salt, maintaining its juiciness and natural flavor. Snapper, old lady, sama, are some of the most popular options.
3. Gofio: Gofio is a toasted corn flour that is a fundamental part of Canarian gastronomy. It is used in a variety of dishes, from “papas con mojo” to “viejas sancochadas”. It is also a key ingredient in desserts such as bienmesabe.
4. Ropa Vieja: This meat stew, typical of the Canary Islands, is prepared with cooked beef, chickpeas, potatoes, onion, pepper and garlic. The mix of flavors and textures is simply delicious.
5. Rabbit in Salmorejo: Canarian salmorejo is a tasty sauce based on garlic, cumin, pepper, vinegar and olive oil. It is poured over the rabbit, which is slowly cooked until the meat is tender and full of flavor.
6. Bienmesabe: A delicious dessert that combines almonds, honey, eggs, and lemon. Its soft texture and sweet flavor make it a perfect ending to a Canarian meal.
7. Goat Cheese: Goat milk is an essential ingredient in Canarian cuisine, and goat cheese is a local treasure. Try a board of Canarian cheeses with varieties such as flor cheese, paprika cheese or soft cheese.
8. Puchero Canario: A traditional stew that combines pork, chickpeas, potatoes, noodles and vegetables. It is a comforting dish and perfect for cooler days.
9. Sancocho: This fish dish is a delicious mix of cod, sweet potatoes, potatoes and mojo. It is a hearty meal full of flavor.
10. Cilantro Mojo: A variant of green mojo, this cilantro-based condiment is ideal to accompany fish dishes and wrinkled potatoes.
Canarian gastronomy is a celebration of authentic flavors and tradition. Each dish tells a story of the Canary Islands and its rich culinary heritage. By visiting these fortunate islands, you will not only enjoy their natural beauty, but also an unforgettable culinary experience. Enjoy! 🍽🏝